First sail...

Today I had my first sail in 'Natural-High'.  I took some video of the sail but, I can't figure out how to load it onto the blog.  I will have to leave it to Monday and have my IT manager show me how to do it.  Anyway, here are the highlights.

- The sea trial took place in the harbor so the sea conditions were flat with only a mild chop.

- Wind was variable between 10 - 20 knots.

- The best speed that we recorded was just under 10 knots.

- There was a race on at the time with keelers...and we passed them.

- There was not a single squeak or creak in the boat.

- There was no spray.

- Tacking was really easy and it was pointing into the wind at better than 45 degrees.

And, most remarkable to me was that in the hulls it was completely silent.  Quite amazing.  Even at 9 knots you could not even hear the water going past it was so quiet.

Needless to say I am very happy with it.

More later...and video's and photos.


Where was the water line?

If you have been following this blog for a while you will be aware that there was some concern that there may not be enough buoyancy in the stern for two reasons.  One is that the hulls were a bit narrower in that area than they were supposed to be.  The other being that we have decked in the aft section and added handrails and a heavy duty steering ram, with the resultant increase in weight.  So, we compensated for this by adding additional buoyance in the aft section.

We added a little more than we needed to based on the premise that if we put a bit to much in the aft end it would be easy to 'level' it up by the addition of a part 'torpedo' in the bow section.

If you have a look at the photos below you will see that the front of the hulls although above the marks is sitting a bit lower than the aft end. 


This is exactly what we were hoping for.   The water tanks were full as was the fuel tank.  The next step is that we will load all the cruising gear on board including drogues and parachute anchor and food other words what I expect will be on it 90% of the time.  At that stage we can check all the trim and if she is still slightly 'nose' down we can easily correct it.  But, by the time I load the spares and tools into the aft section that may not be necessary. summary...I am delighted with how it sits in the water.  If it had been down in the stern it would have been a real problem to correct.   We will take her for her first sail later today.


It's in the water...

Yesterday 'Natural-High' was successfully launched.

Unfortunately the weather had just changed and later in the day a southerly storm blew in with 40knots and heavy rain.  After craning the boat into the water I motored it around to a floating dock to work on.

The electric motors were surprisingly good.   At the time of launch the wind was light but it still motored directly into it and reached 6.7 knots.  Later in the day when I had to shift it to a new location it did 7.1 knots with the wind behind.  Be doing more testing on this over the next week.

The total weight was almost exactly as we estimated...6 tonnes.



Launching in the Morning...

At long last, the day of the launch is almost here.  The boat was loaded on the truck this afternoon.  At 2am tomorrow morning it will be taken to our local port Lyttelton via the road tunnel through the hill. 

A crane will lift it into the water and I will finally see how she sits in the water.  I expect it will sit reasonably low because of the extra weight..I have put on.  That's long as it sits level.

Well tomorrow I will know.  :)




Spare anchor stowage...

Under the NZ Cat 1 offshore rules we have to have a spare anchor.  That is OK as I intended to have one anyway as a stern anchor.   The problem was that they are bulky and I needed to find somewhere to stow it.

Problem was solved by getting a 15kg Rocna anchor which is demountable.   Only takes a few seconds to assemble.  It fitted nicely under the shelves in the aft starboard lazerette.  The chain for it will be stowed in the space up forward for the main bow anchor.  The rope will also double for the parachute anchor.


Saving Space...

0The drawer space is pretty limited in the galley so I bought a stainless rack with hooks to hang utensils on.  Then we made up a stainless bar and attached rubber grips so they could hold the utensils and prevent them from rattling.  Works well.

We still have to add a flame guard on the bulk head at the back of the cooker.


Getting Close...

Most of the deck hardware is now fitted, and all the sails go up and down as they are supposed to.

Currently I am getting new sail covers made so that the gaffs can be held in a horizontal position when the sails are down with the sails neatly tucked below.

Tomorrow we will fit a davit which I had made up to handle the outboard for the tender.

More photos tomorrow.  


Sails hoisted...

It was pretty interesting for me today to see the foresail and staysail fitted.  The handling of these has until now been a bit of a mystery to me...but, thanks to the way Davie has set everything up it is going to be really easy to single hand sail.   There are still adjustments to be made and the mainsail has still to be fitted.   Unfortunately I will be out of the country for the next couple of weeks so I won't see the fitting of that sail.

When I get back I'l do some more detailed photos and show the changes that we have made to improve the sail handling compared to the standard Tiki 38 system...only made practical because of the winches fitted.

Page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Next 8 Entries »